Sunday, May 23, 2010

Image is Everything.

Especially in the great city of Washington DC. The suits. The fancy stores. The gorgeous water fronts. The spectacular monuments. Everything about this city is posh. Image is important for the nations capitol. People buy into this idea. Fancy suits doing government work and making big decisions. Would we trust a sloppy politician? Probably not. (I mean, most people don’t trust them anyways. But it’s the system we have, you have to have some faith in the intended good a democracy can do. – But that’s another conversation.)
Now do I believe image IS everything? I have grown accustomed to two specific and opposing perspectives.
1. The Student Affairsy (humanistic) Perspective – what’s on the inside counts! Development of the whole individual is important. Reflecting moments.
2. The fashion industry perspective – coming from a Merchandising background, I was taught how to study dress, image, put together a “look”, a line and forecast upcoming trends. Essentially, study the concept of image. Image is everything.
I pulled in at 4 pm and began unloading my car. I have never seen so many people strolling on the sidewalk dressed to the nine at 4 pm on a Friday afternoon. After hitting up a popular night neighborhood, the images overwhelmed me. My hoodie and rolled up jean capris seemed so far out of place, it’s not even funny. I’m so used to the small town college schools, where jeans and flops were 100% acceptable at the local bars. I always have enjoyed spiffing myself up to stand out in these situations, but now it’d just be ‘acceptable.’ And probably still underdressed. My wardrobe is limited in this sense. (I know, surprising.)

Here’s a fun fact: as I was driving In I heard on the radio about a group that has been discriminated against and there are no laws to protect – dun dun dun, the unattractive. At first, I thought, ridiculous. But then I began to ponder it. Yes, its probably true. If you are attractive, people pay attention to you, want to talk to you, etc. I feel I have been blessed with a bit of an attractive gene. I’m no Jessica Alba, but I feel I have received some of the advantages society provides those who look decent. Then I started thinking about legislation to protect ugly people… I’m not sure how that would even begin. Blah.

So this brings it back to image. Money and time goes into establishing my look and image everyday. (So this then benefits those who have the resources?)

And while this is fine and dandy, I also don’t want this to be my only asset to society. I would like to think my thoughts and ideas contribute to progression. But yet, if the smartest person in the world showed up to a job interview looking sloppy, there is no chance this individual would secure a job, solely based on image.

It’s an interesting dichotomy I struggle with every day, as I am sure many others do as well. The goal is to find your own balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment