Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"house spouse" lessons

After being in Oregon for a week, these are things that stick with me:
1. My grandparents are B.A. They have done crazy things in their life, and some not so crazy things, but more so committed/dedicated/respectable things that has built a great legacy and a wonderful family.
2. I can’t sew worth a rat’s ass. I tried. Running a sewing machine isn’t half hard, but it’s the figuring out what comes first, and how-to-stitch-every-thing-together-in-a-hidden-seems-fashion business that is slightly exhausting. Needless to say, I’m really good at ripping. But what I did learn is that you just have to think ahead, plan it out, buy extra fabric, play with the fabric, and if all else fails, try it a different way. Or hodge-podge it together. Kinda like life (oooh…ahhhh). I know, gross.
3. I hope I find someone to love me for decades, and for me to love him back.
4. There’s nothing like a good walk.
5. It won’t be like childhood summers anymore. The cousins have grown. I visit before the fruit is ripe. Summer berry pies must be asked for, instead of a dime a dozen and a new flavor every day at noon. Pine cone wars are a thing of the past. Running around for hours on end on 7 acres of land is no longer a practical use of time unless there is a lawn mower or a machete in hand (which is why I am not allowed). But these things have been replaced with talking about real life things: like jobs, and stories of life experiences, or trustes (both A and B and all the legal jargon), and house spouse lessons – things every one should know.

1 comment:

  1. I 100% agree with #4. And I love that the word "machete" is in this post. You are amazing like that.

    ReplyDelete