Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Books.

People are like books. They have covers, chapters, beginnings, ends, often times sequels. Sometimes they're enlightening, perhaps uplifting, other times they are heart tugging or scary.

But everyone organizes their books differently. I see my life as having not one, but multiple books, which narrate simultaneously. But this isn't just life, it's how I compartmentalize parts of my job and personal life too. I pull out one folder from my brain and it has everything on one subject, when I'm done with that I put it away until it is needed again.

There's a book for work. There's a book for school. There's a book for family. There's a book for boys. Because I live where I work, sometimes these get blended. Not intentionally, but because people care and they want to know how you are doing on a personal level. So I tell them about the recent happenings in my life. Unfortunately, we're all so intertwined, it gets complicated quickly.

The largest lesson I have learned is the way i compartmentalize my life is not the same as other people compartmentalize their lifes. My chapters are clearly defined - a beginning of a thought to the end of the thought. Once something happens, I process through it and move on. The next chapter happens. It's a book so you learn and you grow through it, but you also look forward to what is next. I rarely read past chapters. In my mind if a chapter is over, it's over. You learned what you could from it. I guess it isn't that people don't compartmentalize their chapters differently, it may be that our chapter don't begin or end at the same time.

I guess I'm just frustrated. My chapter has closed, and another has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment